auto-hp beauty-hpc family

Customer reviews

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 July 2017
This is by far the best design-psychology book I've read. It is a great read for anyone who is a product designer, architect, UX designer, computer programmer, electronics and communications engineer, psychologists and people are really curious about everyday objects.

The older edition of this book (over 25 years ago) was called "The psychology of everyday things", and this is a revised edition - the examples are more suited to today's world as the internet and technology have greatly changed the way we live. I found it really interesting. I am always the person who tells people to read manuals if they can't understand how a device works. After reading this book, I stopped doing that- it is not people's fault if they have to struggle to figure out things. It is the designer's responsibility.

This book also delves deeply into the workings of the human brain and how it has evolved and how memory and assumptions work and don't work.

[I bought a paperback version of this book - the images and diagrams are all in black and white and font is okay, but the page quality is quite good, so is the binding.]
on 13 November 2016
In addition to the design fundas — human centered design, significance of affordances, signifiers, mappings and conceptual models — what I loved about the book is the way it looks at design in real world, acknowledging the constraints from different aspects of business.

I'd strongly recommend this to all designers. Especially if you are an Interaction Designer or one who looks at design as a whole without constraining to visual/interaction, etc., then I'd say the last chapter "Design in the world of Business" is a MUST.
3 people found this helpful
on 23 February 2017
From no on every time I have difficulty operating a gadget or handling a tool I will know that I am not at fault, the designer is.The book is excellent.and outlines the responsibility of the designers in understanding the users with all their faults,biases and their strengths.
After reading the book you will appreciate the very few good designs you see around you and more importantly, how badly the things around us are designed,right from a gas stove to the nuclear power plant.He also draws the conclusion that most of the accidents are not due to the human error but due to the fault of the designers for not taking in to account the human factor in to their design.
Thanks to this book my attitude towards the design of every day things have changed and made me appreciate good designs and hold the designers to a higher standard
on 13 February 2016
A great read for designers and non-designers. Very informative and interesting. My friend, who is a Product Designer, informed me that this book was compulsory reading during his design course. Some parts can get a little too detailed (and are probably targeted at those working in the field), but overall, a good read.
on 5 July 2015
One of the best books on design ever written . The principles in this book are not just confined to user experience design,but to every job that requires you to build something . One of the few authors who has been successful in avoiding the technical jargon and yet not compromising on the content .

His Ted talk on aspects of good design is a short summary for those who don't have enough time to read his book
2 people found this helpful
on 28 July 2016
Makes for an excellent read. A must have for every student of design and any person who believes in the magic of creativity.
Added bonus of prompt delivery and best price during lightening deals promotion.
on 11 August 2016
One of the best book to understand the design techniques. Norman analytic skills in explaining the real time design constrains and addressing them with psychological aspect is best in class.Interesting examples,effective presentation and discussion of humanistic nature in dealing with objects made this book as *must read*. Paper quality is average and amazon delivery is prompt.
on 16 November 2016
Every person should read this even if they are not a designer. Helps to understand whats fundamentally wrong with design of daily gadgets and how we can improve our mental models about the world we live in. Highly recommended!
One person found this helpful
on 20 February 2018
A must read for all Product/Industrial designers. Though enlightening for any one interested
on 4 August 2017
Great book. My son who is studying in Bdes course, says: it's a must for every student.