- Paperback: 704 pages
- Publisher: RHUK (26 May 2011)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0552772550
- ISBN-13: 978-0552772556
- Product Dimensions: 13.2 x 4.4 x 19.8 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #40,561 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ 76.00 Delivery charge
At Home: A short history of private life (Bryson) Paperback – 26 May 2011
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
"A work of constant delight and discovery...His great skill is to make daily life simultaneously strange and familiar, and in so doing, help us to recognise ourselves. A treasure: don't leave home without it" (Judith Flanders Sunday Telegraph)
"Enchanting... Bryson tackled science in his brilliant A Short History of Nearly Everything. This new book could as easily be categorised as 'a short history of nearly everything else'... extraordinarily entertaining" (Antonia Senior The Times)
"Not just hugely readable but a genuine pageturner... None of these things, needless to say, are as easy as Bryson in his ever-genial way makes them seem" (James Walton Daily Telegraph)
"Entertaining, fact-packed... He is a cheery, idiosyncratic guide, eclectic rather than scholarly, a true populariser. At Home will have every reader eyeing home rather differently" (Financial Times)
"The much-loved writer takes the attention to detail that made A Short History of Nearly Everything such a fantastic guide to all things science, and applies it to our homes. Written in his laid-back style, this is a wonderful celebration of what makes a house a home" (News of the World)
The irresistible book by Bill Bryson which does for the history of the way we live what A Short History of Nearly Everything did for science.See all Product description
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
1. Bill Bryson shines light at the most trivial of things. Makes them look at things so differently.
2. The language is witty and keeps you turning the pages.
3. A great source of knowledge. You will get to know about stuff you had not imagined. It has imparted me with so much interesting information that no one really knows or thinks about. Makes for really interesting dinner table conversations.
4. A totally different kind of view towards world history. This books does not dwell on the great war and events of history rather it tells you how the world changed over time. How even small changes effect the human race in tremendous ways.
5. Whatever profession you pursue or whatever passion you have, this book will have something for you. Bill moves seemlessly from Architecture to Psychology to Botany to engineering to medicines to music to decor et al.
6. It will make you look at things differently. (This is the point that tells you about the greatness of the book)
Do read it.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Look for similar items by category