- Paperback: 480 pages
- Publisher: Little, Brown Book Group; Digital original edition (3 January 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0349122385
- ISBN-13: 978-0349122380
- Product Dimensions: 20 x 3.1 x 13.1 cm
- Average Customer Review: 54 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #5,650 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Ashoka: The Search for India's Lost Emperor Paperback – 3 Jan 2013
Save Extra with 1 offer
- Cashback (3): Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 50 using BHIM UPI (available only on mobile app/website) or RuPay cards. Offer period 1st September to 30th September. Cashback will be credited as Amazon Pay balance within 15 days from purchase. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa debit card, credit card or ATM card. Only on your first 2 cashless orders on Amazon.in (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period 4th Sep to 30th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
- Go Cashless: Get 10% cashback up to Rs. 100 using Visa Signature or Visa Infinite cards. Offer valid only once per customer (including mobile recharges and bill payments). Offer period: 11th Sep to 24th Sep. Cashback within 10 days. Here's how
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Thrilling new biography about the first man to rule all of the Indian subcontinent, from one of the great chroniclers of India.
From the Back Cover
In his quest to govern India by moral force alone, India's lost emperor Ashoka Maurya turned Buddhism from a minor sect into a world religion and set up a new yardstick for government which had huge implications for Asia. But his brave experiment ended in tragedy and his name was cleansed from the record so effectively that he was forgotten for almost two thousand years. Yet a few mysterious stone monuments and inscriptions survived, and the story of how these keystones to the past were discovered and deciphered is every bit as remarkable as their author himself. In this fascinating book, India's ancient history is rediscovered.
'A thrilling book which reads like a mystery novel . . . Read this and you will see how absorbing history can be' Lord Meghnad Desai, author of Rediscovery of India
'Like an explorer in a jungle, stripping away the foliage from a long-forgotten city, Charles Allen brings to light the most extraordinary ruler in Indian history' Tom Holland, author of Rubicon
'A labour of love and notable scholarship, Charles Allen's Ashoka is a fitting testament to a forgotten epic of discovery . . . All who relish India's antiquity should read this book' John KeaySee all Product description
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter mobile phone number.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews